cooking time: 15 min. serving 8
Flour 110 gm.(Self Raising)
Margarine 110 gm.
Caster Sugar 110 gm.
Egg(s) 2 large
Baking powder 1 tsp.
Strawberry jam 2 tsps.
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC. Sieve the flour and the baking powder into a bowl.
2. Grease the inside of two 18cm (7") cake tins and then cut a circles of greaseproof paper to line the base. Then grease this lining. This will stop the cake from sticking to the tins and breaking when turned out.
3. Add all the ingredients to a bowl and beat for about 2-3 minutes using a wooden spoon.
4. Halve the mixture and place into the two tins. Smooth the top of each halve and place on the middle shelf of the oven.
5. Bake for 25-35 minutes. Test the cake before removing from the oven. This is done by gently placing a warm metal skewer into the middle of the cake. When the skewer is removed, there should be no uncooked mixture clinging to it.
6. Remove the cakes from the tins and allow to cool on a wire tray. Spread the strawberry jam on the bottom of the cakes and sandwich the two halves together.
7. Dust the top with caster sugar and serve.